I've had 2 recent visits to 9th Street Deli (corner of 9th and Philadelphia), so I thought I'd combine the reviews. 9th St = Indiana. Hands down. My family knows the original owners and they would be proud to know that the new ownership has maintained the same excellent quality and service they established years ago.
This is not a place for fancy ambiance. The original bistro tables line the side wall whose shelves house assorted snacks and penny candies. If you look above you will see lots of college pennants. At this point they're all probably vintage.
Their menu is full of various subs and sandwiches both warm and cold. You will find assorted sides in the deli case. If you look at the white board in the back you will find the daily specials and soup selections for the day.
In both of my recent visits I ordered the turkey and cheese sub. You can load it up with "everything" (lettuce, tomato, onion, pickle, pepper rings and choice of dressing) which is what I did. This was the "half" sub which is actually a foot long. That was plenty for my husband and I to eat for a meal. The advantage to getting everything is that I get the pickles my husband doesn't like and he gets the pepper rings I don't like -- works out perfectly!
The real key to this sub is the roll. I don't know where they get their rolls from but if we were ever to open a cheesesteak shop I'd quickly find out. It has a nice crispy exterior, a soft but sturdy interior and a corn meal dusted bottom. The turkey meat was plentiful and tasty. All of the toppings were very fresh. I love having shredded lettuce on my subs!
On one occasion I picked up a small container of their macaroni salad. Beautifully creamy and delicious.
If you're looking for other items on the menu to try, let me suggest their regular sub, steak and cheese, 1/2 pound hamburger and chili.
We'll go back to 9th Street again and again. A foot-long, high quality sub costs roughly $5 and is definitely enough for 2. How can you beat that?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment