Since I had the day off for Martin King Jr Day, I decided to brave the cold and see if there were any good deals at the good ol' Indiana Mall. Turns out I made out like a bandit at Old Navy, but that's not what this blog is about.
I needed some lunch before I hit up Ollie's and Martin's, and I certainly didn't want to go grocery shopping hungry. I also needed a place where I didn't look like a complete idiot dining alone. I thought Roseann's on Oakland Ave (beside Rustic Lodge) was the perfect choice.
When you walk in, you are greeted by cases and displays of incredible baked goods (that is coming from previous personal experience). I could have easily had some sweet treats and called it lunch, but I resisted the temptation.
They had a nice selection of food which you can eat there or take out -- lasagna, halupki, beef braciole (side note -- I wasn't thrilled with their braciole last time I got it -- go to Luigi's in Clymer for that), baked cod, peach pork, some side dishes, soups, salads, etc. They had a meatloaf dinner special for $8. It was miserably cold out, so I thought maybe comfort food would be best and went for it.
I got a huge piece of meatloaf with mashed potatoes and green and yellow beans with beef gravy over the meatloaf and potatoes. When you eat in the restaurant, they nuke the food for you so it's hot. I still have mixed feelings about this. I think I'd personally rather have the food that's in the display case already be hot. They also use plastic silverware and paper plates. For their prices, it'd be nice to eat with real dinnerware. Regardless, the service was very good.
Anyway, I sat down at a clean table and started digging in. The mashed potatoes and gravy were good, but not as good as the ones my sister-in-law made for Christmas dinner. The beans were slightly overcooked and swimming in too much butter/oil. I prefer to taste more of the vegetables than what's covering them. The meatloaf was fantastic -- at first. There was a nice tang to it, and it was moist. I felt that way until I ate over half it it. Then it hit my stomach like a lead balloon. I'm surprised I actually spent any money at Martin's afterwards because my stomach was overfull with green bean and meat grease. I even went to the gym after Martin's just so I can whip myself out of the fat coma I was in. It didn't work. I ended up tasting and feeling the meatloaf dinner the remainder of the day.
Will I go back there? Yes. Probably and only occasionally. It's a good place to go if you want some homecooking and don't feel like making it yourself. I will have to be more selective in what I choose to eat from there in the future.
Hmmm....maybe I just should have had dessert for lunch!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment